Published on October 27th, 2013 | by Mehedi Khan68
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electronic Communication
Technology in Modern Communication
Communication is needed for decision-making, coordination, control, and planning. Communication is required for processing information in the accounting department, finance department, personnel department, establishment, of public relations, sales department, market research, production department, purchase department etc. Communication with the government, shareholders, and prospective investors, customers etc. is also required for the day to day functioning of the business concern. The conventional process of communication is not sufficient to meet the multidimensional needs of the firm enterprises. So, the need for modern communication technology emerges to meet the desired need of modern business operations. Worldwide communication has been facilitated by the electronic transmission of data which connects individuals, regardless of geographic location, almost instantly.
Definition of Electronic Communication
Communication using electronic media known as electronic communication. Such communication allows transmission of message or information using computer systems, fax machine, e-mail, title or video conferencing and satellite network. People can easily share conversation, picture, image, sound, graphics, maps, interactive software and thousands of things for the development of electronic communication. Due to electronic technology, jobs, working locations and cultures are changing, and therefore people can easily access to worldwide communication without any physical movement.
L.C. Bovee and Others said, “Electronic communication is the transmission of information using advanced techniques such as computer moderns, facsimile machines, voice mail, electronic mail, teleconferencing, video cassettes, and private television networks.”
Advantages of Electronic Communication
The following points highlight on the advantages of electronic communication:
1. Speedy transmission: It requires only a few seconds to communicate through electronic media because it supports quick transmission.
2. Wide coverage: World has become a global village and communication around the globe requires a second only.
3. Low cost: Electronic communication saves time and money. For example, Text SMS is cheaper than the traditional letter.
4. Exchange of feedback: Electronic communication allows the instant exchange of feedback. So communication becomes perfect using electronic media.
5. Managing global operation: Due to the advancement of electronic media, business managers can easily control operation across the globe. Video or teleconferencing e-mail and mobile communication are helping managers in this regard.
Disadvantages of Electronic Communication
Electronic communication is not free from the below limitations:
1. The volume of data: The volume of telecommunication information is increasing at such a fast rate that business people are unable to absorb it within the relevant time limit.
2. The cost of development: Electronic communication requires huge investment for infrastructural development. Frequent change in technology also demands further investment.
3. Legal status: Data or information, if faxed, may be distorted and will cause zero value in the eye of law.
4. Undelivered data: Data may not be retrieved due to system error or fault with the technology. Hence required service will be delayed
5. Dependency: Technology is changing every day, and therefore developing countries face the problem as they cannot afford the new or advanced technology. Therefore developing countries need to be dependent towards developed countries for sharing global network.
Please comment on what do you think.