Published on November 12th, 2014 | by Md Mehedi1
Top 10 Causes of Failure of Oral Communication
Oral communication creates misunderstanding, confusion, distortion of facts and leads to communication breakdown. The following are the are the reasons for which oral communication becomes ineffective:
1. Lack of planning: In the case of oral communication, the speaker provides more importance on speaking style rather than planning for the subject matter. As a result, the receiver gets confused and hence communication failure arises.
2. Sluggishness: Sometimes oral communication involves any topic to be discussed for a long time. This may call for inattentiveness of the audience. For this reason, the objective of communication will fail.
3. Quickness: Oral communication happens within a short span of time. Also, there may be quick feedback but without proper thinking. Such thing may disturbance to the flow of oral communication.
4. Lack of thinking: Generally when communication is required, we need to think properly about the whole communication process and its completion. But in oral communication, we don’t have enough time to think. Therefore such communication fails to be effective.
5. Poor presentation: Poor or faulty presentation will confuse the receiver. If the speaker fails to present the information in a nice way then the objective of communication will go in vain.
6. Inattentiveness: It is very difficult to hold the attention of the receiver for a long time. Moreover, feedback also requires the speaker to be attentive. Lack of concentration will cause a disturbance in the oral communication.
7. Emotion: During the time of delivery of the speech, the speaker may become emotional which will hamper the transmission of the message. Hence the receiver will remain in the dark.
8. Lack of review: The subject matter of the communication requires proper review or evaluation for the betterment of further communication. But such review is not possible in oral communication if the time is limited.
9. Status: If the speaker holds higher status, then he may hesitate to communicate with the person in lower level. Such person may not give proper honour to the audience also. Here oral communication fails to fulfil the objective of communication
10. Wrong interpretation: If the receiver makes the wrong explanation of the topics or subject matter of oral communication then the whole communication process breaks up. So wrong interpretation causes failure to oral communication.